Why are people loving on crystals so much? What are they and what can they do for you?
Crystals are minerals grown from within the earth, formed over millions of years, shaped by volcanic heat and waters.
These beauties are solids that form by a regular repeated pattern of molecules connecting together. This uniform structure is what makes a crystal a crystal.
The powerful energies and healing properties there possess are truly amazing.
They can help you connect on a deeper level while soothing the heart and soul.
Each crystal has a certain frequency which can be used for specific healing, personal empowerment or protection purposes.
If you are able to listen to your gut and follow your instincts, your soul will be drawn to a particular crystal - me, at the moment, I’m gravitating towards clear quartz – known as the master healer.
Holding crystals or placing them on your body is thought to promote physical, emotional and spiritual healing. Crystals do this by interacting with your chakra…aka your body’s energy field.
There are so many different types of crystals and this could go on forever, so I’ve just put together a list of my favourites:
- Rose quartz - the crystal of unconditional love. Is a stone of the heart. It carries a soft feminine energy of compassion and peace, tenderness andhealing, nourishment and comfort.
- Clear quartz - the master healer. Encourages clarity of thought and purpose to one's heart and mind. It works on all levels of the energetic and physical bodies and resonates with all chakras.
- Amethyst - is known as “nature’s tranquilizer,” Amethyst calms and soothes, assisting the transmission of neural signals through the brain. Place under the pillow or mattress, or rub the centre of the forehead counter-clockwise to cure insomnia and stimulate pleasant dreams.
- Black tourmaline - gives psychic protection against negative energy & psychic attack. It aids spiritual grounding, heals allergies, brings good luck & happiness.
- Selenite - I have this on all the window sills in our home..it is believed to bring peace and calm and is an excellent crystal for meditation. Holding a piece in the hand is said to help drain any negative energy from the body, while a large piece, placed in the home is said to ensure a peaceful atmosphere. It is an extremely high vibrating crystal and will assist you in opening your crown chakra. It can also assist in connecting with your spirit guides and angels. Another wonderful property of Selenite is that it has the power to cleanse and clear other crystals and negative energies. It never needs cleansing and should never be immersed in or cleansed with water.
- Yellow aventurine - great for helping open and balance the solar plexus chakra, which, when open helps you muster courage and combat over sensitivity. The golden light fills one with compassion and understanding, alleviating grief and centering the emotions.
- Rainbow Moonstone - embodies deep-seated feminine energy that helps you embrace psychic gifts & your innate personal power. It’s symbol of ‘The Goddess of Moon”.
- Black onyx - a powerful yet soothing stone that helps stamp out negative thought patterns that stem from fear. It can be worn to release any sort of negativity.
- Labradorite - linked with the third eye chakra, the energy field that ignites spiritual expansion and higher levels of the mind and spirit. To expand your mind and increase your spiritual growth, meditate with Labradorite and connect to higher realms of consciousness and parallel worlds of endless possibilities. The stone is a beautiful reminder that every day holds new magic to be discovered.
How to cleanse, clean, charge and use your crystals
Let me start by saying that I want you to enjoy your crystal, I don’t want things to feel too hard or overwhelming so don’t feel you have to do all of this or you’ll be doing it wrong. I’m just trying to provide you with all of the information and them it’s yours to do with it what you please.
Cleansing your crystal
As soon as you receive or buy a crystal, you’re going to want to cleanse it (unless it was a gift - or you have ordered one from me - and the person who gave it to you has told you they have specially programmed it for you with specific intentions and energies, then you do not need to do this initial process).
It has passed through numerous hands and energy types so you always want to cleanse it with either a sage or palo santo smudge to dispel negative energy and allow you and your new love a fresh start.
Smudging: do this by light your sage/palo santo and gently waving the smudge above, around and underneath your crystal – not touching them – for about 20-30 seconds.
Visualisation: another way to cleanse it through visualisation. Just hold the crystal in your hands, focus on it and visualise a beautiful bright white light surrounding it and beaming through the crystal, flushing out any stored energies. Do this until you feel the white light and done it’s job.
Cleaning your crystal
Soak your crystal in a glass bowl of sea water (sea water is preferable but quality sea salt to your water will work too) to fully clean and purify them. Ensure they are fully submerged in the water and leave to soak for at least 1 hour.
Rinse thoroughly in cool running water.
Please note that there are some stones that should not be soaked in salt water. As a general rule - any crystal that ends in "its' should not be soaked in water. Crystals that are porous, contain metal or have a high water content, for example opal. Stones and minerals that should be kept away from salt include pyrite, lapis lazuli, opal, hematite, selenite etc.
Charging your crystal
Once you’ve cleansed and cleaned you crystal you are going to need to charge/energise it so that it can now release its own natural vibrations and energies.
You can do this in a few ways; just pick what feel best for you.
Physical contact/white light: this is simply you picking up and holding your crystal to infuse it with your energy and the white light energy of the creator of all that is. Imagine a white light flowing in via your crown chakra (or tiara chakra as my 3 year old has renamed it) and down through your body and arms and into your crystal.
Native Americans believe the crystal will naturally energise themselves from our body’s own energy. I love this!! Such a beautiful way to charge them.
Again – do what feels right for you at that moment in time.
Morning sunlight: leave your crystal to bask and charge in the glorious morning or even sunset sun to charge them up. Be mindful not to leave in midday sun as some coloured crystals, such as amethyst, may fade over time.
Moonlight: believe it or not, you do not have to wait for a full moon to be able to charge your crystal. They can be done at any time during the lunar cycle.
A nice way would be to leave your crystal out to charge overnight and then leave so it can absorb the gorgeous morning sun too. That way it can be charged with the moons more gentle energy and the suns stronger energy.
Programming/using your crystal
Now that your crystal is fully cleansed, cleaned and charged, it’s time to program it for a specific use or with a specific energy.
Get out your sage and palo santo again, lather on some oils if you like and take a few minutes to fully clear yourself and the room you’re in of unwanted energy.
Then, sit quietly away from distraction and electricial devices.
Clear your mind and hold the crystal in front of you.
Focus on it, concentrate on the specific energy you wish to program the stone with. Be clear and direct – don’t try to overload the crystal with too many thoughts and energies – and then transmit you minds energy directly to the crystal.
Do this until you are happy with what has been programmed.
Once done, use your crystal to help you in the way you programmed it to.
- wear it on your body
- carry it in your bra or bag
- place it under your pillow
- have it on or in your desk
- place them around you home, on windowsills, wherever you feel you need them
The more you use your crystals the more intune you will be with them and you’ll become aware of when they are feeling dull and in need of a cleanse, clean and charge.
You can do this daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthy, it all depends on how often you use them.
If you open yourself up to them, they do work!
Here are the link to some amazing books on crystals:
101 Power Crystals by Judy Hall (this chick is the queen of crystals so any of her book would be amazing)
The Little Book of Crystals by Judy Hall
Crystals by Cassandra Eason
There are so, so many out there but any of these would be great to start with.
Most importantly, enjoy your crystal
Have fun with them, explore and experiment, don't take it too seriously. Just enjoy these amazing gifts from the Earth!